2.17.2009

The Great Debate...pt. 1

There are a few topics that inspire serious debates in our household...not so much finances or politics, but things like what is truly the earliest you can make chocolate mint cookies if you're planning to give them to someone on a Friday, and still keep the quality of goodness they deserve; what would be the ideal time to have another baby (if we have any say in it next time...); and tacos. Seriously, tacos have been the topic of a LOT of conversations in the past 6 weeks. You see, Adam is very nostalgic about the tacos his mother used to make when he was a kid...ground beef, grocery store seasoning packet, and all condiments in separate bowls on the side. Onions, cheese, beans, everything. No mixing. I, on the other hand, mostly care about how the tacos TASTE...and in my opinion, the grocery store seasoning just doesn't cut it. SO. I made tacos several weeks ago, a la Kristin--spicy and nicely seasoned, with lots of fresh ingredients (garlic, green chilies, onion, and so forth) thrown in. Adam ate 2. Now, if you know Adam, you know how many tacos he can eat, so I knew he wasn't a huge fan. Although he didn't say anything, I had to ask...and the debate began. Flavor vs. nostalgia. A few weeks later, we had tacos a la Adam-fine, but in my opinion rather bland. What to do?? Seriously, we have tacos frequently enough for this to be a big stinkin' deal! Pax liked them both, so he was no help...how could we come to a peaceful resolution??? We can't be a 2-taco family..."Ahh, mooooom.....I like DAD's tacos!" "Dad's tacos AGAIN?? when will mom make them?" we could picture the catastrophic division having 2 different kinds of tacos could bring to our future (seriously...this is the stuff we have loooong conversations about at our house). BUT...tonight. I made tacos, since the recipe I was trying to make in the crock pot just wasn't done...and tried a compromise. Taco seasoning packet + some extra flavor thrown in. Condiments on the side. SUCCESS!! Adam loved them, and ate at least 4...always a sign that he does, indeed, like them. I liked them, too, and Pax....well, Pax just likes good tasting food. TADA!! Great Debate #1 solved! tune in next time for more random debates from the Bleger household....

3 comments:

Glimmerchick - Unplugged said...

You are one smart chica Miss Kristin. Great job at combining both nostalgia and the flavor you crave in the ultimate taco. You guys seriously crack me up. Can't wait to hear more... keep em comin! lv, jen

Unknown said...

I'm so glad we're not the only family that has debated over Mama's cooking! I still refuse to make meatloaf like she does! But I completely understand the "serious" discussions. I'm with Jen - can't wait for more!

Miss. Jinny said...

Oh my goodness Krisis you crack me up but i am so happy that you both agreed on something! Congrats on the yummy taco's can't wait to hear more! Love you!