9.21.2012

The first day of school.

           For the past 2 years, I've informally homeschooled Pax. Preschool...not a big deal, really, for me. 2 days a week we had sit-down learning time; the rest of the time we did units about what people do all day, farm animals, etc. Everything was is a learning experience. And, truly, he's so eager to learn that he's been very easy to teach-he's already reading a bit and LOVES it. This year, though, he turns 5. And even though in Arizona he's technically not supposed to start Kindergarten until next year; we're doing it. He's ready, we have a year of grace before Adam starts his program in which I am not pregnant, and we can maybe get this formal-homeschooling-thing figured out. Although the thing I like most of all, perhaps, is that it's so INformal-although I'm following a kindergarten curriculum this year, I've already found that he's about 40% thru it, so we're piecing stuff together, focusing on character building and reading with the other stuff, of course, mixed in. Fridays will be our field trip day twice a month; the other two Fridays will be spent doing different age-appropriate service projects. And the B-girl is starting preschool! She's very, very excited and I'm letting her lead on a LOT of it (she's 2 1/2), but it's still challenging with the 2 of them. Yesterday was our first OFFICIAL day of school, so, of course, we did some fun first day stuff...I grabbed my point-and-shoot and took them outside to answer some questions. Figured they'd be more likely to be excited about it...and I was right! I will most definitely be doing this survey every year. Love some of their answers!






(she wasn't about to pose by the palm tree; I'm ok with that!)



...and since out letter of the week is-you guessed it-A; we of course had to start our alphabet wall with some alligators. And end our day with pancakes for dinner with Daddy! Day two? Exploring animals at the Zoo!!
So far, I love homeschooling :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I love it! I pray they never lose that excitement for learning!