4.15.2010

Beloved.




It's time I introduced you to a Very Important member of our family. He's the number 7 steam tram on the Island of Sodor...which, if you don't happen to have boys or other small children who are passionately in love with trains, means nothing to you. But in our house...he's a pretty big deal. Because this guy loves, loves, loves his Toby the Tram Engine. He may not be the biggest engine, or the fastest; his paint isn't bright red like James or green like Percy or yellow like Molly. It's not as shiny and pretty as Thomas' blue paint. He has wooden sides, and cow catchers (if you don't know what those are-ask my son. I had to.), and a bell instead of a whistle. But boy, does our little dude love him. Can't you tell? See how his paint is chipped and his eyes are almost completely rubbed off? Pax got him for his birthday last October. He's much loved already...goes almost everywhere our little boy does. Sleeps with him. Usually eats with him, too. At least once a week, I hear, "Mama, where Toby GO??" as Toby has been taken along on some adventure and left (like in the trunk of his owner's toy car...or, once, inside the sub woofer. Apparently the speaker hole looked an awful lot like a tunnel Toby needed to explore.) I love this little wooden train-because he is my boy's friend; his partner in imaginary games, and his whisper-buddy at night in bed. Usually one or another of the trains will join Pax and Toby in their adventures; but Toby is always, always there. Which is why I seized the opportunity to take some pictures this afternoon when I found him on the floor, somehow missed as Pax went to his nap. He may not be the prettiest, strongest, or fastest engine my boy owns; but he is definitely the most beloved. And so he makes me smile...because he (always will!) reminds me of a sweet, busy, crazy little two-year-old with Toby clutched tightly in one hand, off on a new adventure.

1 comment:

Megan said...

What a sweet post. You're such a great momma :)