5.28.2010

Got Milk?

*Disclaimer...don't read this if words like nursing, breastmilk, or miracle freak you out*

'Cause I do. A whole freezer shelf (going on 2!) of it. I produce a lot of milk, I must pump AT LEAST 4 ounces every morning just to be comfortable, and I can't bear to toss it. I feel guilty. So I've been freezing it...way, way more than baby girl will need, even if I shot a wedding every weekend. Which I don't. So a few weeks ago, I decided I needed to do something useful with it....I have a friend who's been on bed rest with her 2nd for 4 1/2 weeks...offered it to her for their little guy if he came too early and needed it in the NICU. But God is sooooo good, that she's make it to 36 weeks!! (seriously, this is a miracle!) and so the little guy should be able to nurse on his own when he comes (please, pray with me that he holds on a few more weeks!). SO I looked into milk banks. Do you know what they charge PER OUNCE for breast milk?? $2.25. AN OUNCE. Plus some other random .25cent fee that I don't know exactly what it's for, because I didn't pay that much attention when I read it. Really? 2.25 an ounce?? Starbuc*s doesn't even charge that much!! And (not that I would be looking to be paid) the donors don't get anything. I decided I'd much, much rather GIVE the milk to someone who needed it ( I mean, I make it for free), preferably someone I knew...but how do you know when a baby will need it? I began to think of all the women I knew who were preggo....and then. It hit me. I remembered a friend from D-town whose family is adopting very soon, a birth-mother situation, who would be bringing the baby home with them from the hospital...on a chance, I wrote what felt like a very awkward note to her on Facebook (have YOU ever tried to write someone a note offering them your breastmilk? I mean, how do you even START that?? It's not like this woman is my best friend, and I could just be like "hey, so you want my milk?"), offering them my store of breastmilk. I had NO idea what she'd think when she read it, if she'd think it was weird, if she'd be open to it...so imagine my joy when I opened her (very excited!) message and read that my offer is an answer to prayer for them! Who would have thought breast milk could answer prayers?? WEll, GOD answers prayers. But this time He did it through my breast milk. How flippin' cool is that?? the woman told me she'd been very upset, thinking she wouldn't be able to provide their little one with milk...that she'd contemplated pumping, but knew with her schedule & the lack of preggo hormones (she's a photographer, too) it just wouldn't work for her; that they'd looked into buying it from a milk bank but just couldn't afford it...so, long story short, I'll be sending her a big shipment of frozen milk early next week, and any extra I pump from now on (aside from a few bottles for B) will be saved for them, too. I feel so completely blessed and blown away by this...the orchestration God has done to make sure their new little one could have milk at the start of her life...and I can't stop thanking Him that I have milk. And that, for some compulsive reason, I've saved every drop I've pumped. He knew. And it's just so cool that I can't get over it!! He cares SO MUCH about EACH of us...sometimes I think I can grasp that, and then something like this happens, and I'm blown away again by His love for me-for you- for all of us. Don't ever think anything is too big or too little to pray about-He cares enough to answer prayers about breast milk!!
P.S. Do wet nurses still exist? maybe I could get a job? Pretty sure they'd pay really well; I mean...$2.25 an OUNCE??? ....a new calling in life perhaps? :)

7 comments:

Mike, Sarah, and Josh Dombrowski said...

I am touched and laughing at the same time. God sure does have a sense of humor!

Unknown said...

Ok, I am totally bawling at work now! That is so stinkin awesome! Woohoo God! I can't wait to tell this precious baby all about Auntie Dub and her wonderful gift. Hoping this baby is still a girl, because if it's a boy, well...he could be embarrassed...

Jill said...

I got chills and teared up all at the same time. I think this is really a cool story. I pumped milk like that and actually had to throw some out when I finished nursing Jack. I sure wish I could've done something like that. Way to go mama! You're a blessing to so many people!

Jo said...

So I am in tears too. That is so cool and God is Awesome!

Megan said...

Oh my word you are hilarious!!!! (That would be awkward!) I love you my generous, beautiful friend! How awesome!

Kim said...

Now that's what I call God's provision!

Emily said...

As someone who struggles with breastfeeding all I can say is awesome. I manage, with the help of supplements to get enough to feed my babies for a few precious months, but its simply too difficult on me and baby to try beyond that. So go you :-) Way to use your blessing in such a special way!!