5.03.2011

Diary of a {Pre}Med-student{'s wife}

The only thing that has been consistent with this medical-career adventure has been change. Moving from our first married home in Durango, where we'd had some deep roots and wonderful friends; living with my parents for a year because the economy made it hard to find work; new classes every semester, new schedules, new job with somewhat consistent hours...change. Every semester, adjustments have to be made. And I think that {at least so far} we've dealt with it pretty well.
Hopefully we'll handle this next change even better, 'cause it's...well...pretty huge for us.

A few weeks ago {like 2}, we almost bought a house. And when I say almost, I mean we'd found a place, put in an offer, they countered, we countered, they countered...all that was left was for us to accept the offer.

But something just didn't feel right.

Adam was restless about it...which was weird, because he's the one who has wanted to buy a house pretty much since we got married. So, we did what every couple does when faced with a huge decision. We slept on it. And then took the kids on a run the next morning.

We talked, and talked, and talked. Up and down and around in circles....until, on the way back, about 1/2 mile away from our place, Adam said it.

"Or, we could just...pick a school, only apply one place, and move there in August," to which I replied
"...........huh."

It had never occurred to me before, moving early. We had thought we'd be in Ft. Fun until next spring. Neither had Adam, actually, until that moment. But as we contemplated it in silence-it kinda made sense. I felt a peace about it that I hadn't felt about the condo we'd almost bought. We could move and have 9 months or so to get settle into our new community; find a church, meet some friends...in short, build a support system where we'd be for the next 3 or 4 years {at least!}. Gotta admit, it sounded better to me in a lot of ways than moving one month and Adam starting his program the next.But before we made a decision, we knew we needed to spend some time praying about the move.
So we prayed. And fasted. And listened. And waited. Because you don't (we don't) make a move like this without hearing from the One we give our lives to. And what Adam heard was, "how many times do I have to tell you to go?" And so, we're going.
Most likely, we'll be moving in August. Most likely, we'll be moving to Phoenix in August, although the location is still not definite. Why Phoenix? Well, it's not as crazy a move as it may seem to some, especially to the Colorado contingent. Yes, it's big, and yes, it's super-hot in the summer. It's also 1-2 hours away from family...I was born in Tucson and spent every spring break there until I was a senior in high school. And home to 2 of the schools Adam has been considering all along. And pretty cheap to fly to-and-from, especially in the summer (because who wants to be in Phoenix in the summer??)

It's not 100% yet, but we're making a trip down there at the very beginning of June to look at houses and check out the area. There is a possibility that we won't end up in Phoenix...but if it's not Phoenix, it'll be Indiana or Montana (seems random, I know, but trust me it's not!). Either way, we'll be moving in August, once our lease runs out and in between weddings I'm photographing and classes Adam is taking this summer and next fall. There will be quite a bit of back-and-forth for me thru September, because I have weddings scheduled up here and in Durango, but it's not an issue since tickets are so cheap!

It's a bit surreal, thinking about moving out of Colorado. Adam has lived here since he was 8; I moved here {from Arizona} when I was about 8 months old. I lived overseas for 6 months in high school, and Adam has of course spent a lot of time in France, but neither of us has lived anywhere else in the States. Exciting? you bet. A little crazy? well, not yet but if we find a place in June it will be! I'm looking forward to getting settled into the town where we'll be for the next 3-4 years, at the least. We've loved being in Ft. Collins again, loved being by my folks and re-connecting with old friends, loved having free babysitters (thanks, Grammy & Grandaddy!); we love our church here, too. But we have always, always had in the back of our minds the time when we'd be leaving, again. Sometimes I feel like we're constantly living in transition-and have been from the moment we knew we were leaving Durango, back when Pax was 14 months old. I'm ready to be...planted again for awhile, I guess. To be able to set down some good, solid roots again in a place where our kids will remember living {although I'm pretty sure Pax will remember Ft. Collins, I know-sadly-he doesn't remember living in Durango and B won't remember living here}.
I also know that, although we're moving away again, we won't actually be away from our family. That's how it worked out when we left Durango-our family (by blood and by choice) went with us. We've kept in touch, visited, emailed. And I know the same thing will happen again this time. I know it will be hard to be so far away from my parents for a lot of reasons; but I also know they'd come to the ends of the earth to visit us {or, at least, their grandkids!}.
So here it comes again...more packing :) one of my least favorite things to do, packing up the house....but I'm getting pretty good at it!
I know I might be coming across as a little flippant...but, truly, this whole thing is a huge step of faith for us. Basically, we're moving and trusting God to see to the details-house, Adam getting into a program (the first time around!), everything. That was the whole point, really-this move would be a step in faith, not knowing the details or even if it will work out, but trusting what we've heard from God now and in the past, and...just going. Trusting. It's not always the easiest thing, for sure. Especially with two littles who depend on us for everything; I think if we didn't have kids, it'd be totally different. But-another step of faith. Because that's what we've built this life of ours on-faith in a God who is infinitely good, infinitely loving, and infinitely wise. A big, crazy step...but that's what faith is. Unseen; seemingly irresponsible or ridiculous to some--just stepping out, one foot at a time, in the direction we know He's pointing us.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I know how you feel. L.A. is the first place in the U.S. besides Colorado that we have lived, but it really is quite fun to explore a new place and find out all the ins and outs of it :) It will be a great adventure for your family, and I am super happy for you guys! I love you friend!

Jo said...

Crazy and exciting!

Miss. Jinny said...

Oh that is SUPER exciting!! ;) And I can't wait to see you in a week!! :) Love you!! And I am praying that God will open and close doors and that you are Adam will have more peace as you decided which place is best for you!!! ;) Love you lots and I am so excited to have you as part of this amazing next journey in my life!! ;)