5.11.2011

For Faye: Granola-Bar cookies :)

One of my oldest (as in, we've known each other a long time; she's not age-old!) friends asked a few weeks ago for a good granola bar recipe. Since, I have one that my family LOVES, I told her I'd give it to her...but I had to actually make them and measure it all out, 'cause I usually just kinda throw it all in till it looks right. This seemed like the easiest way to get it to her...so, feel free to read or ignore this as you'd like!
Here ya go, Faye....the Recipe!! (sorry it took me awhile :)
3 c. oats
1c. nonfat dry milk
1 container peanut butter (16 or 26 oz....I use the all-natural stuff; my favorite is the one that has flax seed added to it. Omega-3s, baby!)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. raisins
1 c. dried cranberries
(you can, of course, use any dried fruit you like...)
1/2 to 3/4 c. chocolate chips (again, you don't have to add them...but my kids eat these if I add chocolate chips, and I think a little bit of chocolate is worth it considering the benefits of the other good stuff!)
1/2 to 3/4 c. honey. this totally depends on how "wet" you want them...obviously, the more honey, the stickier they will be. We like them moister (is that a word??) at my house.
3/4 to 1 c. water (again, as you start mixing, it will just depend on how wet you want them. The oats soak up a lot of moisture as they chill, so add a bit more at first until you see what consistency you like)
**variation..add a scoop or 2 of protein powder if you need the extra protein! Adam likes to do this when he's lifting hard, or if you're training for a big race...might be good for growing a baby, too ;)
Throw it all in a big bowl or mixer, in the order it's listed or whatever order you'd like. It doesn't really matter, which is the beauty of it! Add water last a little at a time as you mix, until mixed thoroughly and at the consistency you like. IT WILL BE GOOEY!
Press mix into a glass casserole dish (or 2 small dishes), 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Put into the fridge for about half an hour or until thoroughly chilled. Bars will become firmer and easier to handle. Cut to desired size...Adam likes big ones, but he's also been eating cookies 'n cream ice cream like it's going out of style the past 2 weeks because of finals stress and has LOST weight. Smaller is better for me & the kiddos :) We wrap ours in tin foil, but anything like that would work. If you keep them in the fridge until you need to grab one, they stay fresher; although we do take them on hikes & they're just as good. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oooooo! These sound fabulous! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be stealing it. I'm always looking for a healthy snack!