11.30.2008

A night of worship...and barfing.


After a great week with our family, we finally headed home from Ft. Collins yesterday morning. We figured that since Pax had woken up at 4:45 AM (his cousin left for the airport and was very awake...thus Pax was, too!) that he'd be sleepy and nap for several hours on the way home. We hit a little bit of snow, drove around Conifer trying to get to the drive-thru Starbucks, and didn't have too many other complications on the way home. Except for a cranky 13-month old. He slept maybe 2 hours...now I understand why my parents always drove through the night! We slept 3/4 of the time! But we got safely home and little Pax was so sleepy he went to bed at 7 after asking for "nigh-nights" (now, if you know my kid you know he must be REALLY tired to actually ASK to go to bed!). It was nice for us...I think we went to bed about 8:45! He slept till 7 am, was a little sleepy and grumpy at church, and fell asleep on our 45-second drive home at 1:15. I didn't think much of it until he woke up an hour later crying. I went in to see what was wrong, and found him covered in barf. Cleaned him up, put new clothes on him, put him in bed, and he rolled over and slept till 4. We kept hearing little wimpers and fusses...at one point I went in to check on him, but he was sound asleep. Just moaning, poor baby, because his little tummy hurt. After he got up, he snuggled with me on the couch. We gave him a little milk, and I was thoroughly enjoying his snuggles until...a huge burp. And then puke. All over both of us. Now, he's never had the stomach flu before, so between our inexperience and his bewilderment (how do you explain THAT to a 1 year old??) it was...interesting. I finally just picked him up, blanky and all, and put him in the tub. Adam stripped him down and we showered, cleaned, ect. Once clean and dry, I began to think about the night of worship tonight at our church, which I was supposed to sing at. I knew Pax couldn't go (puke + church=bad idea!) so I texted Benjie, our worship leader, and told him the situation. I was bummed-I love nights where we just focus on worshipping God, and I love being part of the worship team. But, as my friend Jill noted in her blog, it kind of comes along with being a mom and in ministry-sometimes you have to sacrifice things for the good of your kiddos. So I told Adam I'd stay home with Pax. Well, my smart, thoughtful husband mentioned that since it was a worship night, it made more sense for him to stay with Pax and me to go. Usually these things are kind of all-hands-on-deck with the pastors, so I hadn't even considered this. But he called up our senior pastor, told him the situation, and asked whether he'd prefer to have Adam there or have me sing. So I got to go! It was such a blessing to me...I'm incredibly thankful for the thoughtfulness of my husband, who knew how important this was to me, as well as being thankful for a senior pastor who believes in us and encourages our dreams. Pax did wonderfully for Adam while I was gone-just very cuddly. Of course, later as I read him a bedtime story he puked all over me again (why Mom both times?? Why not Dad??), but now he is sleeping sweetly and I pray the rest of the night will be peaceful!

4 comments:

Jill said...

That's wonderful that you were able to go and worship. That certainly is a blessing.

Sorry to hear about the barfing. It's definitely freaky for the little ones. I remember one time when Kale was throwing up (I think it was Kale) Mark came in with a trash can and said to have him throw up in there. I just laughed. Kale had no idea what was going on anyway and then to try and make it into the trash can? Yeah right :) So we just brought out a bunch of towels and snuggled on those. Kind of like giant burp cloths. I'd rather do a huge load of towels then change a hundred times.

I hope little Pax man is feeling better this morning. Not fun for the little guys or the mommies...

Megan said...

Yep, when your kids throw up, it pretty much sucks :) And it's scary too. Sorry to hear that he was sick, and glad to hear that he is feeling better now! (Read it on your facebook status...). Thanks for the invite to the library this morning...wish I could walk :) Anyway, looking forward to hanging tomorrow morning.

Unknown said...

YUCK! So not fun! I really hate puke. I am really proud of Adam, though, for parenting! And you, for not freaking! It is so hard with little ones. I'm so glad he's feeling better, and that you guys had so much fun in FC. The crazy walking boy! Love you guys!

Glimmerchick - Unplugged said...

Adam rocks. So do you Kristin. What awesome parents and we are truly blessed by your passion for worship too. Glad you got to sing that night. I love Pax so the thought of him being sick makes me sad, but it's a good thing he got to snuggle afterward. Re: Jill's comment. It is funny when you tell your kids to puke "into" something. They look at you like... not only is this confusing but now I have to perfect it with some aiming skills? hee hee! lv, jen